Saturday, August 15, 2009

Week 1

.


.





Assignments for Week 1
(Aug. 30)

• Get acquainted with our Blackboard site and the Media Smarts blog.
• Read “First Thing—Read This!” orientation posts and syllabus closely.
• Order McManus CD online at Detecting Bull.
• For inspiration as you start the school year, watch this five-minute video from Steven Colbert, on professors’ unreasonable expectation that you learn to think critically.
• When you have read the introductory materials, send Professor Pease an email message at ted.pease@usu.edu introducing yourself, and with any questions you may have. Send me this email by Friday, Sept. 3 so I know you’re in the class and that you know how to get around Blackboard and the blog.
Quiz on syllabus will be emailed to you as a Word attachment on Thursday. Open and save it as YourLastName2010Quiz1. When you’ve completed it, attach it to an email to Professor Pease at ted.pease@usu.edu by Sunday 9 a.m.
• File introductions of yourself in “comments” under theAbout Uspost on the blog. Tell us a bit about yourself: Who you are, age, hometown, what kinds of stuff you like to do, what you want to do when you grow up, one weird/funny thing you’ve done. I’ll start with my own self-disclosure. Look at each other’s posts to get to know your classmates.
.

5 comments:

  1. Loved the Steven Colbert video. There are so many restrictions (it seems) placed on teachers, it's a miracle students are able to learn to think critically. My kids have all completed high school, but when they were attending it seemed like I signed a lot of permission slips for them to watch this video or that film, or hear a lecture about this or that -- real life! I should probably be grateful our school thought parents had a right to object, but if we have to be so careful in filtering high school education, aren't our kids in for a real culture shock when they hit college? Anyway, the video made me chuckle. And (heaven forbid) think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone!! My name is Romina Nedakovic and I am 20 years old. I'm originally from Icici, Croatia but my family now resides in Park City. We came to the states in 1996 with a green card and moved around a few times to places such as, California, Louisiana, and Texas before settling in Salt Lake City in 1998. I am proud to say we are american citizens now. :) I am a transfer student from BYU... I know, I know, Cougar Town. I went there the past 2 years playing tennis for them but unfortunately I became very unhappy my sophomore year and decided to transfer. I had a fun experience my freshman year but my coach shockingly quit and so my sophomore year was a wreck. It was a hard decision but I'm already happy here in Logan and I'm excited for a new start. Go Aggies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, good old Steven. I just learned the other day that "An Inconvenient Truth" has been turned into a children's book and is being implemented into the curriculum in some second grade class rooms here in Utah. Imagine Barry's concern for his future children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Steven Colbert!!! I think people have taken Global Warming to an extreme and some are throwing it at our faces with out caring about our own opinions. I think some global warming exists but not to an extreme. I watched the Inconvenient Truth and it was okay for me but I went to it with an opinion mind and I gained more knowledge. This student had to get on the news to say he was forced to watch something that he doesn't believe in is stupid to me. He should have had an open mind and if he still didn't believe in it, good for him. But he had to get on the news like so many others. Thank you Colbert for your sarcasm! -Romina Nedakovic

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got Colbert Report on Series Record on my DVR. Must See TV!

    ReplyDelete